YouTube Statistics have made it evident that YouTube is not just a video-sharing platform but a cultural icon. It’s everywhere, from memes to popular media, songs, TV shows, movies, books, and everyday conversations. However, what many don’t realize is how powerful the YouTube brand is and how it can significantly boost businesses and brand building.
YouTube Usage Statistics
YouTube has a high user base, but are those users by age, gender, location, and language? These are the statistics that can identify who is using YouTube and who isn’t.
- YouTube has more than two billion monthly active users.
- India has the largest YouTube audience, with more than 467 million active users a month.
- The nation that has the second largest nation is the United States.
- Brazil has the third largest usage of YouTube.
- English and Spanish are the most popular languages to be used in videos, with 66% of all content in the top 250 channels spoken in English and 15% spoken in Spanish.
- The third most used language is Portuguese (7%).
- The largest age group to use YouTube is those between 15 to 35 years old.
- About 77% of those between the ages of 15 and 35 are using YouTube.
- 73% of those aged between 36 and 35 are actively using YouTube.
- 70% of those aged 46 to 55 are on YouTube regularly.
- Just over half (53.9%) of users are male.
- YouTube users are more likely to have a college degree or higher qualification compared to the general population.
- YouTube Shorts has more than 30 billion daily views, which equates to six views per person in the world.
- Over one billion hours of video content are watched on YouTube every single day.
- 62% of US adults use YouTube daily.
- Nearly 700,000 hours of video are streamed every minute on YouTube, nearly twice as much as Netflix.
- 80% of parents say that their children watch at least some content on YouTube.
- 30% of users will watch one live stream every week.
YouTube Usage on Devices
YouTube can be accessed from various devices, including mobile, gaming platforms, computers, and televisions. However, which devices are using YouTube more and what does that tell brands about how they need to create content?
- Only one in five users are accessing YouTube via a mobile device.
- The TV is the fastest-growing platform being used to watch content.
- 700 million hours of content is watched every day on television.
- YouTube is the second most visited website in the world.
- Users spend about 24 hours a month using YouTube from their mobile devices using the mobile app.
- Mobile users will visit twice as many pages as users who are on their desktops.
YouTube Advertising Statistics
YouTube generates most of its money through its advertising options. Ads can appear before, during, and after a video with brands paying for being inserted in videos. So what are the bonuses for YouTube advertising?
- In Q4 of 2022, YouTube generated $7.9 billion from advertising.
- The average audience member finds that adverts on YouTube are more relevant to them.
- Using a vertical video can improve conversions for any advert used on the platform, by a rate of 10 to 20%.
- Amazon’s Alexa home speaker advert was the most viewed advert on YouTube in 2022.
- In 2020, Apple Inc. had the largest advertising expenditure on the platform, spending $237.15 million.
Read Also: link in bio tool
YouTube Organic Search Statistics
YouTube is not just a video-sharing website, it is also a search engine. How search results are displayed depends on the algorithm that the platform uses to rank the relevance of a video to search criteria.
- By search queries alone, YouTube is the second-largest search engine in the world, after owner Google.
- Over a third (35%) of the top global YouTube searches in 2022 were related to TV shows.
- The top five global searches on YouTube for 2022 included, ‘Minecraft’, ‘TikTok’, ‘comedy’, ‘Tik Tok’ and ‘ASMR’.
- 60% of Gen Z turn to YouTube to find out more about their favorite television shows.
- The most popular YouTube channel has more than 200 million subscribers.
- Baby Shark Dance is the most-viewed YouTube video of all time, it has more than 12 billion views.
The Growth of YouTube
YouTube has seen great growth since it was first started. But how has the platform grown and changed since it was first started?
- YouTube started in 2005.
- The first YouTube video was uploaded on April 23, 2005.
- YouTube was initially meant to be a niche dating site.
- Google bought the platform in 2006 for $1.65 billion. They originally thought that they had overpaid for the platform, but based on the current earnings, the investment has more than paid off.
- YouTube adverts were first rolled out in August 2007.
- YouTube is now available in 100 countries and 80 languages.
- YouTube Premium and YouTube Music have more than 50 million subscribers, which is another revenue stream for the platform.
- YouTube now accounts for 25% of all internet traffic.
Read Also: Affordable Roadmap Tools for SaaS Companies
YouTube Content Creation Statistics
There are numerous individuals, known as YouTubers who create content regularly. However, how these people use the platform can be surprising. So here are the content creation statistics for YouTube.
- More than 500 hours of video content are uploaded to the platform every minute.
- There are more than 51 million YouTube channels, which has grown by 36% over the past year.
- Only 306,000 YouTube channels have more than 100,000 subscribers.
- Only 29,000 YouTube channels have more than one million subscribers.
- Only 700 channels have more than 10 million subscribers.
- The average visitor spends about 19 minutes a day on YouTube.
- 99% of users are on other social media platforms.
- 81% of internet users have used YouTube, providing a large audience base for content creators.
- Content featuring video and console games is particularly popular on YouTube.
- The amount of sports content to be watched on the platform is expected to soar by 2025.
- A third of internet users watch how-to, instructional, or tutorials.
- Female users are more likely to watch how-to, tutorials, or instructional content on the platform.
- T-Series is the most subscribed channel on the platform, they have 232 million subscribers.
- YouTube videos can be added to blog pages, emails and even social media to get more reach, allowing brands more room to expand.
Final Word: YouTube Statistics
YouTube is a really important place for businesses to connect with customers, but many don’t use it as well as they could. Here are some key numbers to keep in mind to get the most out of YouTube. Also, don’t forget these tips for making a great logo for your YouTube channel.